Thursday 1 November 2012

Vitamin Supplements for Acne

Vitamin Supplements for Acne Treatment

During my pursuing of a cure for my acne, I dabbled in the obsessive and excessive taking of vitamin supplements. I probably spent nearly £100 on Holland and Barratt pills and at one point had to invest in a bigger pill box - I was taking that many supplements.

I heard about these as a cure through forums, research and online investigations. Whilst I will say that none of these worked for or against me in terms of my skin and my acne, many people have found great results with this form of treatment. Just make sure that you consult with your doctor (who will probably not advocate them but also will not be likely to tell you categorically not to).

Everyone's skin is different and thus, there are many different solutions for different people. I'm posting this to offer an option, not a be all and end all solution.

Since we have no idea what really goes on when making these supplements, I'm going to make a wild claim that getting these vitamins from a healthy diet will be much 'healthier' than popping pills. My reasons for taking these supplements were that I wanted to attack my body with healthy vitamins from all angles so I combined the two.

*Disclaimer* I'm not a nutritionist or a scientist so these are not facts, just my opinions.
 C, D3,, evening primrose oil,  clear skin tablets, v

The following is a list of the supplements I've had experience with and their supposed benefits:

Vitamin A: Retin A (topical retinoid) and Roaccutane (or Accutane) are derivatives of vitamin A and are frequently hailed as the most effective treatments of acne. This vitamin protes cellular production and tissue growth and repair.

Since I couldn't afford to eat much red meat, I decided to start taking Vitamin A supplements. I was taking 32,000IU a day - far more than the recommended amount. I experienced no negative effects on this dosage but only continued with this for 3 months due to disappointing results.

Natural sources of Vitamin A are: red meats, eggs yolks, oily fish and leaft vegetables such as spinnach and kale.

Vitamin B: I took B3, B5 (pantathenic acid) and a B complex (not all at the same time) These are meant to reduce stress, improve the metabolism and improve circulation. I can't exactly remember how this links to acne, it's just something I was recommended. The pantothenic acid B5 is meant to improve our ability to absorb vitamin D (I'll get to that later)

I can't remember how much of this I was taking and I never documented my dosage but I know that it was costing me a LOT of money... I was taking 500ml of the Patntothenic Acid B5

Natural sources of vitamin B are: liver (disgusting) and salmon, vegetables, eggs and meat (I think that all foods are a source of vitamins, I may get bored of writing the same thing soon...)

Zinc: I started on 25mg and upped to 50mg eventually. I was recommended this by a beautician who told me she'd cured her acne this way. Obviously I am a sucker for supplements so I immediately went out and stocked up. It's meant to improve the appearence of scars and enhance wound healing. I'll therefore assume that it improves new skin cell production.

I believed in this remedy so whole heartedly that I only just finished using up my stocks. As with all these supplements, it made no difference to my moderate acne... But it's definitely a scientifically recognised treatment for acne.

Natural soures are: eggs, wholegrains and nuts.

Niacin: Niacin is known for its ability to promote blood circulation; it opens up the capiliaries and allows blood to flow more easily through them. This causes a 'flush'; a visable sign of the improved blood flow. The flush isn't dangerous.

I started my dose on 100mg and experienced no flush. The next day I doubled this dose and found that my face, neck and back were very red and flushed; not dissimilar to an unattractive rash. It tingled a little and made my ears feel really hot. It lasted for about 20 minutes, sometimes longer which was embarrassing if I took my pills before I left for work and arrived at the office looking like I'd run there from Africa.

I have no idea where a natural source is for this. Lots of really good results recorded about this vitamin, if you can deal with the flush! (There are non-flushing versions available but I always thought that the flush was a sure sign that the pills were working)

Vitamin E: I was taking 400mg for this, plus bursting capsules and using the oil topically to treat my dry spotty skin. It's meant to be an antioxident and enhances cell repair (I feel like I'm repeating myself now...)

I remember my mum giving me these as well as fish oil tablets when I was doing my GCSES. She assumed that these pills would suddenly replenish the information I lost by skiving lessons in favour of snogging my teenage boyfriend for antisocial, grade affecting periods of time. I digress...

I still keep a stock of these; I use them in manicures for moisturising my cuticles, I take them now and again for essentially no reason and I use them as an intensive moisturising mask when in the bath.

Natural sources of this are: nuts and broccoli (YES! I love brocolli. A florret a day keeps the acne away)

Vitamin D(3): Again, vitamin D helps acne by improving cell production and repair. It also helps with reducing scarring. I was specifically taking D3 for my skin.

Since I don't see much sun living in England, and I tend to wear SPF 50 on my face to prevent aging, I wanted to top up my vitamin D intake to help my acne. I know that lots of people use sunbeds to help with acne but I didn't really want to for the reason stated above. I started on 1000IU and increased until I was taking 4000IU. No difference to note with the increased dosage apart from it was more expensive.

Natural sources of this are: the sun, and milk.

Evening Primrose Oil: I started taking this to calm my PMS and menstrual cramps. As acne can often be hormonal, I assumed that this may help with my skin. I applied it topically to calm redness and took orally to help rejuvinate my skin. It also helps with improving hydration of skin.

I can't remembe how much I was taking, I found vitamin E capsule oil a better moisturiser for my skin topically.

Vitamin C: I have taken vitamin C supplements for as long as I can remember... My mum used to buy the chewy gummy ones that I'd blatently overdose on due to the deliciousness. I take these in the winter to prevent colds. Benefits for skin are that they boost the ammune system and (you guessed it), help skin and cell repair.

And for any pirates and sailors reading this, it also prevents scurvy.

Natural sources are: Citrus fruits and brightly coloured vegetables.

I still take these. I rarely have colds so that is either a result of a childhood of casual hygene and a resulting increased immunity... or that vitamin C tablets have more benefits other than being a delicious morning treat.



Hopefully this has been helpful? Probably not, it's all very vague and probably inaccurate. Let me know if you have tried any vitamin supplements to help acne and your results!


5 comments:

  1. If you want to get more information about Acne Scar Treatment Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for your great post, there are much nice information that I am sure a huge number of guys and gals don’t know.estrosmart reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice articel http://www.majalahsehat.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweat produced remove toxins from the body, clear pores, balances hormones and reduce stress. Vitamins for joint pain

    ReplyDelete
  5. For this person, acne outbreaks are frequent and coincide with other infections. Vitamins for Erection and Impotence

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and subscribe! I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...